Wednesday, April 15, 2009

On Mornings

12 Days. 2 and a half weeks. 22 More Classes. After that, I'm done with college. I graduate in less than a month, in less than a month I'll be walking across the stage at the Sigel center and receiving my diploma. Holy. Shit. It's crazy, it blows my mind. But I feel like I'm better set up than most of my peers. A B.S. in Psychology means nothing really, at best you can get lab tech jobs so graduate school is a must. I have a really good in with Dr. Porter, I've worked in his lab for about 2 years now, I'm doing a study under his supervision, he's even pulled some strings to get me into classes. Either way around the time that grad school applications were due Dr. Porter tells me that funding is tight within the depatment and they may not be taking on new students so I may want to look other places. Of course I procrastinate and end up with 2 weeks to look at other schools. I tried looking into schools, programs, and professors but it was too much and so I decided to take a year off. I think I'd previously mentioned that I wasn't sure if I was leaving Richmond or not.

Well recently I was talking with Cory , with who I had talked about moving to Chicago with, and he still has another semester left so Cory and I decided to get a place together hopefully with a 6 month lease then go from there. So what changed my mind? I may be able to extend the Tech Job I have now with Dr. Bettinger. Things with me and someone else are going well, not to say that I'm staying for them, but I'm not leaving because of them which was the original driving force behind leaving. Cory also said that once he'd graduated he'd go wherever with me so that will be nice if we do end up deciding to move I'd have someone with me.

Speaking of jobs, I essentially got fired the other day. I work at a corporate bakery/cafe, and I've worked there for awhile. When I first started working there it was still a franchise and things were amazing, I came back after about a year of being gone to a new store. The same GM that hired me but this store is top 5 selling stores in the country and fastest order time in the country. So I think the stress have driven her crazy, and her little staff of underlings is not much better. Anyway, we throw away whatever bread the homeless shelters don't come to pick up at the end of the night. The other evening I was working and it was supposed to thunderstorm right when I got out, so I got a friend to pick me up. When he got there, after we'd closed I ran out side and gave him bread. Long story short the next day when I come into work there's a 2 page write up about the incident and the last paragraph says that I'm suspended until the issue is "resolved" I said fine here's my 2 weeks. So I'm actually really pumped, I now have time to myself, I can focus on my school work, and I have another job lined up to start in the summer. I'm pumped.

So all in all things have been going pretty well for me as of late. Cross my fingers so they stay this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment